January 17, 2011

LETTER #61 - FRANKFURT

Hi!
Quick pictures – Frankfurt Fireworks and last Sunday I put my camera on the bahn tracks and took that picture.

So about that guy you were asking about mom. (The guy from a couple of weeks ago that they found while doing doors. He was the one who came cursing to the door. He nearly shut the door on Isaac but Isaac pushed on the door with his hand until he finished and then the guy was willing to listen. The story is in letter #59.) We did go back and we were able to teach him. He loves us now and is really friendly. He doesn't know a lot about God so we teach pretty basic but it’s good. He is in the hospital for a foot operation for the week so we won't be able to meet with him. Things seems like they're going pretty good with him though.

The past week was pretty weird. Instead of getting healthier I got more sick! It was super annoying. I thought if I just kept going it would fade out you know but the opposite kind of happened. So we had to stay in for a while and I tried to get healthy ha. Not really a lot I could do other then sit or sleep. We read and listened to a lot of talks and I learned a lot but still it was pretty lame.

I figure the most important thing I learned was how awesome it is to be healthy. And how we need to take advantage of that. I mean I already knew that but I guess I hadn't thought about it in a long time since I hadn't been sick in the last year which was pretty good for me. I compared it a lot to when I couldn't play soccer my senior year. How I didn't really realize how much I loved and wanted to play until I really could not play. Then I developed a real gratitude for being allowed to play. And finally I was allowed to play! I guess I didn't realize how nice it is to be able to go out each day and be a missionary. Until I really could not go out. Each day was like a fire growing in me burning more and more to go outside and be healthy again. I'm almost there! A few more days hopefully and I'll be totally good.

Basically I learned; when fully capable, fully commit. Lots of times you get tired or kind of discouraged so you think it’s ok if I don't give 100% today. You don't think it will be a big deal, or you think ah whatever it’s alright. I'll just do better tomorrow. Then that continues to happen over and over again. You have to do it now. Commit now. Because when there are actual real reasons holding you back or something is over, you have regrets. So when you are fully capable, recognize that and fully commit. That’s basically the short version of what I've been thinking about while being sick ha.

We did have a pretty cool experience this week though despite being sick. We had an appointment with a man named Karsten that we had met the previous week in a bahn. Trolley or I don’t know what we call it…the trains that go down the roads and through the cities. Whenever we get in a bus or bahn to go anywhere we usually split up and go sit by different people and just start talking with them. Its way fun, of course we try to bring the conversation to the gospel but when it doesn't work we just enjoy the conversation! But we got in the bahn this one morning and I sat down across from this guy. I smiled and said good morning then the phone rang. He smiled back and said hello but then I had to talk on the phone. The phone conversation was taking a while so I was praying the guy wouldn't get out soon because I felt strongly to talk to him. Finally I got off the phone and sat there for a bit because I went blank and didn't know what to say. I don't remember really what happened but I ended up talking to him and he was way friendly. We brought the conversation to God then I told him about the Book of Mormon and offered to bring one by to him and he said yes. So I got his phone number and we called him almost a week later and made an appointment out for the next day. At the appointment he was way excited to get the book and everything went really well. Then as the appointment came to an end and I told him how to get to church and which stop to get out at he remembered and said ''Oh yea that’s where you got on that one morning'' I said yep then he said ''yea when you got on and sat down by me I felt something strange. It was a warmth or light it’s hard to explain. I was watching you and you were radiating calmness. I was glad you talked to me'' We explained to him this was the feeling of the Holy Ghost and that he could have that feeling while he reads, prays, comes to church, and meets with us. He was pretty excited about that. I was really grateful though for that. Sometimes you never know how you’re doing or if things are working, but when someone says something like that to you, you know the spirit is being your companion. Because I alone could never have that effect on anyone.

Me being an instrument for the spirit though, it can work like that whenever it’s necessary. It’s like that scripture you mentioned mom in Philippians 2:12-15. 

12Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
14Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
15That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;


In fifteen, all of us really are lights unto this world. Beginning with ourselves as individuals, together we will literally light the world. People can and will notice. I've experienced that so much on my mission, even pre mission. You often don't realize how much you affect people until much later. But it is very real.

I love being here, I love the gospel and am so thankful for the experiences I've been able to have and for the things I am learning from everyone. I hope everyone is doing good. Be happy and take advantage of each day. It may all sound cliché but it’s so real! I love you all!!
Elder Puriri

No comments: