April 26, 2010

LETTER #23 - NORDHAUSEN

Hi Family!
Yesterday we were talking to someone on the street and they asked how old we were. When I went to answer I realized I was 20! I can't believe that. I don't really want to be 20 but not really a lot that I can do about it. I didn't forget my birthday, but I guess I just didn't really register that I'm 20 now. It was more just like, wake up, and realize it’s the 23rd and my birthday, then go to work and don't think about it anymore ha. It was a good day though.

This whole week has been pretty good. Elder Kearl got here on Tuesday and we had Elder Chidsey who is currently in Gotha (another city) with us for a couple days too. So we were 3 for Tuesday and Wednesday. Then Elder Chidsey went up to Berlin to pick up his Golden (new missionary). It was kind of funny being in a companionship of 3, you could see all the people on the street were kind of confused. They are used to seeing 2 of us walk around but then there were 3.

Just so you know I can still speak English. I just can't really do Gospel talk in English. I'm sure if I had a German companion for long enough and only spoke German all day everyday I would lose more then just my Gospel English. For the most part though my English is still there ha. I'm not sure if I will be able to skype on mother’s day. I will see this week and let you know next Monday. Oh and its ok you didn't get that package off until Friday. Don't worry about it. I tried to attach some pictures but for some reason this computer won't let me. So I'll figure it out next week and send some. The weather is warmer, the sun was shining most of this week it was nice! I'm already getting tan lines for my watch, collar and sleeves ha but whatever. I like tan lines more then I like winter!

Our appointment with Evelyn last Monday was good. It was Elder Mason's last time so it was also kind of sad. We talked though more about baptism and Evelyn is planning of being baptized towards the end of May! She had a C section a little over a month ago and needs time to heal up. But as soon as she is cleared by her doctor she is planning on getting baptized! I'm pretty excited. Elder Kearl and I went back to Karsten's (that last contact we went by on last week and made out an appointment with). He is a way cool guy. We walked into his house and as I turned into his living room he had like 5 guitars hanging on the wall. I kind of just stood there and stared. He's been playing for 2 years or so and I told him I play a little as well. He offered to let me play but we wanted to teach him first, and then sadly didn't have time at the end. It was funny though at the end of the lesson he told me to take a guitar with me and I can play it at nights when we get back to the apartment. I wish! Hopefully I'll get to play a little when we go back this week, pretty sure I've forgotten everything though. The appointment we had with him was good though. He loves Christ and wants to strengthen his faith. The true Gospel of Christ is exactly what he needs. He was very open, very down to earth, we even got on his computer and watched Elder Holland’s talk from Apr. 2009 'None Were With Him'. It was a very spirit filled appointment. Its amazing all the people you meet out here. So many different stories, so many completely different people, but the Gospel is the one thing that can make everyone happy. The one thing that can bring everyone true peace.

I was able to give a talk yesterday in Sacrament and talked about preparing for the temple and the blessings we get form the temple. So I read a whole bunch about the Temple while preparing for the talk and now my view of the temple has changed quite a bit. I learned so much and am so thankful that we have temples. Especially for the fact that our family can be together forever, when we honor the covenants we have made with God and when we all do our best to live the Gospel. I can't control what everyone else does, but the things we do determine whether or not we receive those blessings. I know I've said this before but please, everyone do your part so we can all be together. Elder Holland came and spoke to us in the MTC and at the end of his talk he got very emotional and in his Elder Holland way he said 'I am not devoting my life to a fairy tale!'. The Gospel is not a fairy tale. Its not just something nice we like to have. It is a real thing. I don't know how I can better explain it right now, but the Gospel is real. I am trying to help people here realize that, and I hope you all know that. If you doubt, or aren't sure, or even if you are sure. Pray, and ask God to help you know. Pray with all your heart, because that's how important it is. He will confirm your faith and belief that is already there, and he'll let you know that the gospel is true. I pray every day for another confirmation, every time I receive one. I love you all so much. Thanks for your prayers, love, and letters. Look for the good in everything and have a good week!
Elder Puriri

No comments: